|Guideline for Scenario Development|
|NATO Modelling and Simulation Group|
Conceptual Scenario, Executable Scenario, Operational Scenario, Scenario Development, Scenarios, Simulation Interoperability
Scenarios play an important role in planning, engineering and executing a – possibly distributed – simulation environment for military purposes. MSG-086 documented the paramount relevance of a properly defined scenario and developed a “Guideline for Scenario Development”. The initial efforts of MSG-086 have been continued under the umbrella of the Simulation Interoperability Standards Organization (SISO) to integrate wider community feedback and culminated in the development of an official SISO Guidance Product, the “SISO-GUIDE-XXX-YYYY Guideline for Scenario Development for Simulation Environments” (which is to be published in 2017).
This lecture series will introduce the “Guideline for Scenario Development” and give hands-on advice regarding scenario development for simulation environments.
The objectives of this Technical Course are
- to inform the broader military operational community about the “Guideline for Scenario Development”,
- to educate personnel involved in planning, preparing, and executing exercises, training, experimentation and evaluation events about proper scenario development and reuse, and
- to collect feedback for future improvements of the “Guideline for Scenario Development”.
The first part will give military and civilian managers, leaders and engineers an overview of:
• Importance of scenarios and application areas
• Motivation of a guide for scenario development
• Types of scenarios and vignettes
• Content of a scenario
• Maturity levels of scenario specifications
The second part will focus on military and industry technical staff and provide detailed technical information on:
• Example scenario specifications
• Tools and Standards
• Future activities for scenario interoperability
• Discussion session on technical aspects.