|Standardization Recommendation (STANREC) Development for Next-Generation NATO Reference Mobility Model (NRMM)|
|Applied Vehicle Technology|
Ground Vehicle, Mobility, NextGeneration, NRMM, PhysicsBased, Standards, Terrain
Mobility M&S predicts the capability of vehicles to move over terrain, accounting for all significant parameters such as terrain type, moisture content, terrain roughness, slope, vehicle design and geometry, driver capabilities and weather. They support operational planning, vehicle acquisition and vehicle design. Legacy models relied too heavily on empirical vehicle performance data with little underlying physics.
AVT-327 establishes the enduring artifacts, configuration management processes and M&S technology forum for maintaining and evolving AMSP-06, to include implementation of GIS based standard file formats, sharing and compilation of soil and terrain databases and measurement methods, as well as terrain-vehicle system standard tests and model benchmarks for verification, validation and maturity ranking of relevant mobility models.
The capabilities of NG-NRMM addressed by the STANREC are the following seven scientific thrust areas:
1. GIS-Terrain and Mobility Mapping: Identify a GIS-based mapping tool that implements and integrates existing valid mobility metrics (%NOGO and Speed Made Good) in an open architected environment.
2. Simple Terramechanics: Identify most promising existing terramechanics methods supporting NG-NRMM requirements that provide a means of correlating terrain characteristics to remotely sensed GIS data.
3. Complex Terramechanics: Establish a vision for the long-term terramechanics approaches that overcome the limitations of existing models.
4. Intelligent Vehicle Mobility: Identify unique mobility metrics and M&S methods necessary for mobility assessments of intelligent vehicles over a sliding scale of data and control system resolutions.
5. Uncertainty Treatment: Identify the practical steps required to embed stochastic characteristics of vehicle and terrain data to extend and refine the current deterministic mobility metrics.
6. Verification and Validation (V&V): Implement near-term vehicle-terrain interaction benchmarks for verification of candidate NG-NRMM M&S software solutions and lay the groundwork for long term validation data through cooperative development with test organizations standards committees.
7. Data Gaps and Operational Readiness: Refine the operational requirements of NG-NRMM and identify where the gaps exist.