Goals and Objectives of the STO Partnership Policy
The goals and objectives of the STO Partnership policy are to:
- Ensure a gradual, coherent, and evolutionary approach for Partner participation in STO activities, in line with political guidance issued by the North Atlantic Council.
- Associate Partners with NATO defence S&T activities and the NATO S&T community in general, so as to provide them with a broad understanding of the NATO perception of defence S&T, and NATO structures and practices to promote international cooperation in defence S&T.
- Assist Partners to identify their research and technology requirements and provide them with tools to plan effective defence S&T programmes within the context of their national strategies.
- Exchange information and expertise on national policies, plans and priorities for defence S&T and to harmonise S&T concepts, procedures, and terminology.
- Foster closer cooperation between the defence establishments of the NATO nations and Partners to increase mutual confidence, understanding and transparency to promote the enhancement of S&T activities.
- Create a forum for defence S&T academic and industrial dialogue between NATO and Partner nations on issues affecting international collaborative S&T programmes.
- Encourage rationalisation, standardisation and interoperability between Partner and NATO nations.
- Identify individual national defence S&T requirements that could be pursued to expand the scope of Partnership activity and create bilateral cooperative S&T programmes.